I was at the #gNigeria 2012 conference in Lagos between 15th and 16th of March and in one of my posts, had promised to guide willing students from various schools in the country to successfully apply for the post of Google Campus Ambassador of their respective campuses.
Here we go!
Does any of these describe you?
- Are you thrilled by new technology and enthusiastic about Google products?
- Are you technically savvy and innovative by nature?
- Do you think you know your school and wants to help your peers?
- Do you have the quality to lead others?
- And are you willing to to join the “Google SwaG?
Then this opportunity is for you!
The Google Campus Ambassador Programme is an opportunity for you as a student to be a liaison between Google and your university. Ambassadors plan and host a few events during the school year, introduce students to new Google products and features, and act as a campus contact for Google teams.
Google Campus Ambassadors may:
- Work hand-in-hand with local Google teams
- Host and organize events to bring awareness to Google’s products and brand
- Spread the word about competitions, bootcamps, scholarships and other opportunities
- Attend Google events as a Google representative
- Help Google to better understand your campus’ culture
- Build relationships on campus with faculty and student groups
- Test products and features
- Promote product use and new product launches to students
- Be a source of knowledge for your university about Google products
- Spread Google goodwill to your fellow students
Eligibility: Who can apply?
This opportunity is currently by invitation only and open to students from technical and non-technical studies. Google Campus Ambassadors must be:
- Currently enrolled in a college or university in Europe, Middle East or Africa (Nigeria inclusive)
- Pursuing a BA/BS or MS degree
- Passionate about technology
- Able to plan events and manage a budget
- Actively involved in student life on campus
Time commitment: How much time it will cost you
-One academic school year
-Approximately five hours per month
-Three to four events per year
What to benefit:
As a Google Campus Ambassador, you will:
- Receive regular updates about exciting new Google products / features, programmes and announcements
- Enhance your professional development, leadership, technical and communication skills
- Be eligible to participate in special Google events, product trainings and be considered for local internships
- Exchange best practices with ambassadors from other schools and disciplines
- Add the Google Campus Ambassador Programme experience to your resume
- Get your own Google SWAG
Sounds great, how do I apply?
To apply, you should:
1. Be at least a 200Level or postgraduate student.
2. Write an Essay on one of these topics:
Mobile applications (SMS and Mobile Web), Local Content & localization, Cloud computing and Open source, explaining “How these Technologies can become an integral part of our lives in Africa.”
3. Write a Motivation letter on why you want to be an Ambassador, what you can change in your Country through learning new technical skills and how using Google tools could help your university.
4. Provide a short statement from your Professor or Head of Department confirming your name, level and area of study.
5. Send your Essay, Motivation letter and Professor/Head of Department statement by email to: [email protected]. Please include “Google Campus Ambassador” and your University Name in the email title. Accepted students will be informed by email.
Google is looking forward to hearing from you soonest!
The Status so far:
So far, not more than eight (8) university campuses have Ambassadors nationwide. This simply means that there is still much time for you. Start now!
NB: If you find anything difficult during this application or you need support, consult Wilfred via email: [email protected]